Safety and Burn Times
At Colonial Candle we want you to experience the maximum enjoyment and pleasure from our candles. We take great pride in using only the finest quality ingredients and materials. Please follow these guidelines to keep Colonial Candle® a bright and beautiful part of your life.
- Remove all packaging before lighting.
- Always place candles on a flat, level surface away from drafts and combustibles.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Use appropriate holders designed for the particular candle style.
- Keep wick(s) trimmed to 1/4” at all times.
- If smoking occurs, use a candle snuffer to extinguish the flame, trim wicks, remove trimmings, then relight.
- Keep the wick centered. It will help your candles burn evenly and protect the sides of your holder, which could be damaged by close contact with the flame.
- Never extinguish a candle by blowing, as it may cause splashing and wax spills. Always use a Colonial Candle® candle snuffer or Colonial Candle wick dipper.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Never move candles when lit.
- In an emergency, never try to extinguish flame with water, use baking soda to extinguish the flame.
- Store candles in a cool, dry place to avoid color fading, melting or cracking. Keep candles out of direct sunlight to prevent fading and warping.
- Over time, candles may become scratched or seem to lose their fragrance. Rub gently with a fine mesh stocking to heighten the gloss, remove any scratches and release the fragrance from your candles.
- For helpful cleaning and wax removal hints, please refer to the Cleaning and Wax Removal Tips.
Scented Glass Jar Candles
- Handle with care. Avoid glass-to-glass contact and do not use if the jar is cracked, chipped or scratched. Do not refill with wax.
- Never allow the wick's flame to touch the jar, as it can cause breakage and become hot to the touch. Handle with care.
- If the wick 'falls' or is off-center extinguish the flame, and then use a bent paper clip to re-center the wick, then relight.
- If smoking occurs, check for drafts or high traffic areas, which may cause the flame to flicker and smoke. Be sure to trim the wicks prior to lighting to ¼".
- To minimize wax left on the sides of the jar, follow the burn time suggested for your specific candle.
- To prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface discontinue use when 1/2" of wax remains.
Remove all packaging prior to burning.
- Place candles away from drafts and on a flat, level surface.
- Use appropriate candle holder and never place directly on furniture.
- Burn candles 1 hour for every inch the candle is wide ie: a 3” pillar should burn a minimum of 3-4 hours every time.
- When wax pool reaches the candle’s edge, gently 'hug' the outer edge of the candle in towards the wick by running your thumb along the top edge. This will help prevent dripping and help ensure pillar safety.
- Discontinue use when 1/2" of wax remains.
- Candle gardens made up of two or more pillar candles should be grouped 2” apart to prevent excessive buildup of heat, which can cause improper burning experiences.
Unscented Virtually Dripless Taper Dinner Candles
- Our tapers are unscented, with the exception of the Bayberry taper sets, to ensure the ultimate dining experience without the threat of a fragrance overpowering your cuisine.
- Our tapers are ‘Drip Resistant’ which means they will burn beautifully if kept out of drafts and away from excessive heat sources
- We offer two styles of taper dinner candles: Handipt® and Classics.
- Be sure tapers are straight, and set firmly in the taper candle holders.
- Always use wax buttons to help ensure taper safety.
Scented or Unscented Tealight Candles
No need to trim the wicks before lighting.
- Make sure the tealight candle holder is well ventilated.
- Some recycling centers do recycle our tealight cups. Refer to your local phone book for contact information for the center near you for confirmation.
Scented and Unscented Long-Burning Votive Candles
- Never burn freestanding.